Life of Mine returns for 2023, with call for abstracts underway!
Together with The University of Queensland, AusIMM are delighted to announce the Life of Mine Conference is returning to Brisbane, Australia, on the 2 - 4 August 2023.
With high-level support from the Life of Mine Organising Committee, we are developing a new and exciting conference program, and are now accepting abstract submissions. We welcome all professionals and researchers to share their perspectives on the holistic life cycle of a mine, to help curate the program. Abstracts showcasing innovative and sustainable approaches to all operations and rehabilitation, including frameworks for mine life and beyond, are of interest.
There are six key themes for the 2023 technical conference:
1. Developing regional approaches: shifting from operating independently to collaboratively
- Linking local rehabilitation to regional outcomes, including social impacts and opportunities
- How State and Regional planning can drive long-term visions and encourage collaborative approaches
- Post-mining land use as a contributor to a just transition
2. Innovative rehabilitation and closure solutions
- Operational changes lead to better outcomes at closure
- Incentivising innovation through valuation options
3. Embedding the circular economy into life-of-mine planning
- The challenges of forecasting: How do we identify opportunities when we cannot predict needs in 20-40 years?
- Responsibly extending life of mine with the re-processing of previous waste landforms
4. Decarbonising mine operations, from concept to closure
- Integrating decarbonisation into mine plans
- Integrating climate resilience and climate actions into mine plans
- Post-mining land use as a contributor to decarbonisation
- Defining and deriving carbon capture benefits from mine rehabilitation
5. Integrated sustainability planning
- Cross-functional efforts to deliver integrated sustainability outcomes
- Valuation options : “beyond NPV”
- Integrating strategic water management solutions into life of mine operations
- Opportunities for biodiversity investments and incentivising biodiversity offsets
6. Effective regulatory frameworks for mine life and beyond