Education Endowment Fund
Education Endowment Fund
The AusIMM Education Endowment Fund (EEF) provides funding to a variety of educational initiatives to attract and provide support for those studying in the mining industry. This includes a number of undergraduate and post graduate research scholarships in each calendar year.
Each year the EEF provides a number of successful scholarship applicants with financial support and exemplary professional development opportunities to enable them to complete their studies and embark on a successful career in the mining industry.
If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, enrolled in a related program of study and can demonstrate a determination to achieve your best, develop leadership qualities and expand your knowledge and network of the mining sector, this scholarship opportunity could be the perfect next step on your career pathway.
Undergraduate scholarships packages are valued at approximately $20,000 each with each recipient receiving:
- Significant financial support of up to $11,000 annually for the duration of their studies. The recipient of the Sir Frank Espie/Rio Tinto Leadership Award receives a stipend of $15, 000 per annum
- Career building mentoring with an industry professional valued at $5,000
- Opportunity to participate in a one-week intensive field trip valued at $4,000 to a mineral-rich region of Australia
- Support to develop career enhancing personal and professional skills
The postgraduate research scholarship package is valued at approximately $25, 000* per annum for a maximum of three calendar years.
*The final figure is dependent upon the value of other scholarship/stipends to a maximum of $45,000 (all-inclusive amount).
Are you ready to take the next step in your career pathway?
The Education Endowment Fund awards approximately 12 scholarships valued at over $20,000 each. If you are an Australian student determined to reach your potential, develop leadership qualities, expand your knowledge and network in the mining sector, an EEF scholarship could be the perfect next step in your journey.
Hear from this years scholarship recipients: Tara Andresson, Sandrine Symons, Nathanael Walther and Kevin Steamer and find out why you should apply!
EEF Scholarship Applications are now closed
AusIMM Student Memberships
AusIMM Associate Memberships
Previous EEF Scholarship Recipients
Premium Scholarship & Joint Sir Frank Espie/Rio Tinto Leadership Award 2022
She has experience working for both underground coal and hard-rock operations, where she has grown her skill set and applied university knowledge- particularly in production engineering. This year Tara is excited to be volunteering her time as both the AusIMM Sydney Student Chapter President and WIMNet student representative.
Premium Scholarship Winner 2022
This year he will be undertaking an honours program at The University of Adelaide with FMG as part of a South Australian Accelerated Discovery Initiative. This project will be focusing on the anomalous occurrence of platinum group elements within the Vulcan iron-oxide-copper-gold deposit, along with undertaking a broader mineral paragenesis of the deposit.
As a young geoscientist, James is passionate about accelerating the discovery of critical metals required to support the widespread electrification of the global economy. Being a local South Australian, he is particularly excited by the prospect of helping uncover the next big IOCG deposit and embrace the challenge of undercover exploration.
Meet all of our 2022 EEF Scholarship recipients
Prizes for final year university students
The EEF also awards two additional prizes which acknowledge the excellence of final year students.
More about the EEF
The EEF Trust Deed was formally created and signed on 22 February 1989. The aim of the EEF is to:
- Fund research projects that may benefit the mining industry
- Provide scholarships bursaries and other awards to tertiary students undertaking undergraduate or postgraduate study or research in relation to minerals relevant disciplines or courses
- Fund and provide lectures to persons involved in the mining industry and students undertaking study in related disciplines
- Provide funding to universities for the purposes of running classes, seminars and other activities designed to promote the awareness of and interest in the mining industry amongst secondary school students
- Provide funding to universities for the purpose of providing endowed professorships.
The Board of Trustees
The EEF Board of Trustees consists of prominent members of AusIMM as well as industry representatives and the current AusIMM President. The EEF Board of Trustees meet twice a year to discuss the fund and its existing and new initiatives to ensure the continued attraction to, and retention of, bright individuals into the mining industry.