CEO, Chamber of Minerals and Energy of WA
Western Australia’s golden opportunity
The speech will examine the critical minerals being mined in WA and touch on their applications in the globe’s bid to decarbonise. It will also explore the opportunities this presents to WA and Australia, specifically:
- The diversification of Australia’s commodities profile.
- The geopolitical leverage and trading opportunities it can create.
- The green energy sovereignty opportunities.
- The spin-off benefits across other industries.
In addition, the speech will examine the critical juncture Australia is at to take advantage of these opportunities and touch on some of the sticking points such as:
- The short timeframe to fully capitalise on these opportunities.
- The legislative and policy settings that frustrate these ambitions.
- The industry’s downstream processing capabilities and challenges in the current legislative and infrastructural environment.
Rebecca Tomkinson joined the Chamber of Minerals and Energy of WA – the State’s peak advocacy body for the mining and resources sector - in August 2022 as Chief Executive Officer.
Rebecca’s vision includes continuing to develop the capacity of the CME team and to grow public awareness of the vital contribution WA’s mining and resources sector makes to communities and economies around the State and across Australia. She is particularly interested in championing the critical minerals that are mined here in WA that will be essential in achieving net zero.
Rebecca brings strong strategic and executive experience from the private and not-for-profit sectors, is deeply committed to the development of regional WA (where she was born and raised) and is actively involved in building community and business capability.
She is a Board member of Infrastructure WA, Crown and Perth USAsia Centre.
Rebecca holds qualifications in community development, public policy and social impact.