Learn and apply geophysical concepts, methods, and industry practices to deliver meaningful results and value to mining projects
|Duration||Delivery||Course Type||NEXT Intake||PD Hours||Language|
Up to 40
Gain a solid understanding of geophysical concepts to help you better prepare statement of works, obtain quotes, interpret geophysics reports and work with geophysicists.
Whether you're a design engineer or project manager, this detailed introduction to geophysics will enable you to understand, apply and harness geophysics for mining and infrastructure projects, as well as communicate confidently with other industry geophysicists.
Over 8 weeks, the course introduces participants to geophysical concepts, methods, and industry practices, combined with an in-depth analysis of real-world applications supported by industry case studies. Learn current methods and how to apply them; and explore an introduction into data interpretation with respect to their aim.
AusIMM’s Geophysics for Mining Professionals Professional Certificate allows participants to gain more value from geophysical applications. The course has been designed to clarify confusion and provide practical skills that can be immediately applied. This is especially relevant for applications where conventional physical methods such as drilling are not providing adequate or detailed subsurface information; for planning purposes; engineering design inputs; tailings storage facility construction; or future life of mine planning.
This course is especially well suited to roles that may touch upon geophysics, such as those who:
- Coordinate a job site
- Prepare statement of works
- Obtain quotes
- Work with geophysicists
- Interpret geophysics reports
- Project managers
- Construction engineers
- Design engineers
With few academic opportunities to learn about geophysics, this online course offers a convenient way to meet the industry’s need for educated staff in this poorly understood but business-critical field by exploring topics like:
- Overview and history of geophysics
- Theory of commonly used geophysical methods
- Scientific interpretation
- Industry applications
Broaden your knowledge and advance your career, while also gaining skills to avoid outsourcing, or to better interact with external geophysics professionals.
Contact us for 2024 dates
Who should attend?
This course is also beneficial to roles that touch upon geophysics, such as when preparing statement of works or obtaining quotes, but don't have foundational knowledge of geophysics concepts and practices.
- Give yourself the skills to address industry in this critical field
- Solidify your understanding of geophysics concepts to drive value
- Broaden your knowledge to do more with your role
- Expand your career possibilities
- Explain the basis of geophysics and its use in industry
- Design basic gravity, magnetics and electromagnetics survey methods for theoretical scenarios
- Design basic electrical, seismic and ground penetrating radar survey methods for theoretical scenarios
- Describe geophysical workflows and practice interpreting data
- Observe reports and report structure and language, analyse information and synthesise data into a conceptual site model in written form
- Consider case studies and practise interpretations and reporting
- Evaluate projects and provide an in-depth justification for the use of geophysics in industry
- Interpret and annotate drawings from a multiple method survey and write an interpretive report
The eight-week course consists of six modules over six weeks, with a final two weeks to complete written assessments. Each module consists of:
- Weekly live virtual classroom (with replay available)
- Interactive learning activities and discussion
- Multiple choice questions
- Additional materials, including case studies and videos
The written assessment requires participants to complete short answer questions that address the content presented in each module.
Download the course brochure
Professional Certificate in Geophysics for Mining Professionals
Aaron is currently involved in worldwide operations and leads large-scale programs for mining, energy, and infrastructure programs, with an in-depth focus on projects within the Tailings Dam infrastructure space and projects in PNG. Respected for his expertise and experience, Aaron has presented multiple near surface geophysical papers on the benefits of implementing new methods within extreme near mine environments and in remote areas.
Contact us for 2024 dates
Frequently asked questions
What are the technical requirements to participate in the course? i.e. do I need a webcam, microphone, etc?
The course will be run entirely online via a cloud-based platform which can be accessed via computer, tablet or phone. Participants will simply need to have a working Internet connection and a computer, tablet or phone with sound to access the course. They will not be required to download any software and will not require any hardware like a webcam or microphone.
How long will the course take?
The entire course will run over eight weeks (six modules over six weeks plus another two weeks to finish the final assignment). It is expected that participants will take about 40 hours to finish the entire course. This includes attendance at live virtual classrooms and completion of all learning activities.
Must a participant complete and pass all modules in order to finish the course?
Yes, it is a requirement for participants to complete all modules and pass all learning activities, including the final assessment. A digital credential will be awarded upon successful completion.