2022-2023 Calendar of Events - South West WA Branch
Dear AusIMM South West WA Branch Members & Friends,
As your Branch Chair, I would take this opportunity to let you know we have an exciting list of local Southwest WA activities in our Calendar of Events for the next year (see full list below).
We have been AusIMM’s fastest growing Branch for 2021-2022 and are enroute to becoming Australia’s 7th largest branch – what does that mean for you? It means that we have a significant network of like-minded industry professionals locally based and available to participate in regional events and provide mentoring and leadership opportunities for those looking to expand their professional development pathways.
It is this strong network that has allowed us to maintain an active presence in the local industry networks. During the last 3 years, we held 38 face-to-face technical & social events across our region from Margaret River to Pinjarra. We were the second most active AusIMM branch globally for face-to-face events.
In the next year we plan to hold events in Albany, Busselton, Bunbury, and Mandurah. Many events are held at the Mercure Sanctuary Resort in Eaton (North Bunbury) as this is both the geographic and demographic centre of our membership and industry operational sites.
Part of my role is to mentor opportunities for you to be involved in AusIMM Branch events, develop PD and networking opportunities, to share your thoughts and concerns with the AusIMM Board and Executive and be a conduit back to you for AusIMM and industry.
We aim to tailor events to meet members’ interests and requests, and to balance our events across our region. If you have any suggestions on future events, or if you would like to give a presentation on your technical projects or services, please drop us a line.
Mark up your calendars – our upcoming events (starting in 10 days’ time) include:
- 26 November 2022– AGM & Social Networking Sunset Dinner – at the MOFSC Marina at Mandurah
- 20 February 2023 – Mine & Process Plant Site Tour, Newmont Boddington Gold Mine, WA – at Boddington
- 21 March 2023 – Hydrogen as a reducing agent – an alternative process for the SR plant – at Bunbury by William Spencer, Murdoch University (Tronox/Rio).
- 20 April 2023 – 3C's - Connect, Coach and Cheer – at Bunbury by Paul Harvey. This event will be in conjunction with New Professionals Network & MinSoc. (Hybrid Event).
- Early May 2023 – Albemarle Lithium Plant Tour – at Kemerton
- 25 May 2023 – Kalgoorlie Gold 2 – Paradigms on Global Exploration Modelling – at Bunbury by Bob Watchorn (Hybrid Event).
- 22 June 2023 – Mining & Process Solutions for the Modern Operator – at Bunbury by Rohan Bose & Glen O’Malley
Additional Guest Speaking Tech Talks include a proposed talk on Southdown Iron Ore Project, Albany; Soil/water characterisation curves, bench scale filtration and implications on tailings management. We are also investigating mine/plant tours at Greenbushes and Worsley operations.
Our ability to meet your needs and interests can be improved by hearing about what your interests are, and how we can serve you better. So I would like you to write to me at SouthwestWA@AusIMM.com.au and encourage you to log into your online portal at https://www.ausimm.com/ where, in your profile, you can select to receive Branch News and Email from the South West WA Branch. If possible please make the South West WA Branch your ‘Home’ Branch. That way you will receive our branch news releases detailing our technical talks, mine and process plant tours and our social networking events. Also let me know if you would like to be involved in mentoring activities, either as a Mentor or a Mentee?
Being involved in the Branch is an excellent mentoring, career development and networking opportunity and if you are keen, we need and look forward to having you involved in our future Branch events.
Best wishes for a safe and happy balance to your 2022-2023 year.
AusIMM South West WA Branch Chair