Business Optimisation, Performance and Improvement
Course commences 6 May 2024
82% of past participants recommend this course
Maximise the value of your mining project and de-risk your operation by gaining cut-off grade expertise, strategy optimisation and project evaluation basics.
Up to 20
AusIMM’s Business Optimisation, Performance and Improvement Short Course covers value maximisation and de-risking mining projects through good strategic decision making and high performance, exploring both key drivers of value in mining projects as well as understanding of better strategic risk management.
Identify strategies for success when facing commodity price shifts, exploration upside, squeezed margins and myriad other market and operational factors
Gain actionable insights into developing an optimised strategy for a mining project and the performance measures that can be put in place to align the operations with strategic intent so the business goals are achieved – with guidance on balancing the trade-offs between the long-term business goals and short-term production targets.
Learn practical knowledge that you can apply immediately to enhance your project’s outcomes:
- project evaluation basics
- strategy optimisation
- cut-off grade theory and practice
- key performance measures and reporting
- recent developments in new technologies and innovations
- how to conduct benchmarking and implement continuous improvements
Help your project deliver more value
Strategy optimisation, cut-off grade, and balanced key performance measures are not well understood in the industry - but they have a major influence on the overall financial performance of a mine throughout its life. Gain the knowledge you need to drive successful outcomes that align with business goals and operational realities.
Business improvement skills to accelerate your projects – and your career
Gain exposure to industry trends and how other players in the field are approaching similar challenges. Get the know-how to better identify the business transformation concepts that can deliver results for your project or site.
- Strategic optimisation of mining projects to identify the best strategic options including but not limited to cut-off grades, production capacity, mining and ore processing methods, that deliver the business goals.
- Cut-off grade selection and its importance on understanding trade-offs between risks and rewards.
- The development and reporting of key performance measures to align mine operations with strategic intent and enable high performance.
- The role of new technology and innovation in mine performance and operational excellence.
- An overview of benchmarking and the continuous improvement process.
Earn digital credentials
Showcase your studies, validate your knowledge
Verify your new skills and knowledge with a digital badge that you can add to your LinkedIn profile, email signature, intranet, or any other online account.
Your badge links to a detailed outline of the course, showcasing and validating your new skills in a format that employers and colleagues can easily access and trust.
Who should attend?
The course will contain insight into both value maximization and de-risking mining projects through good strategic decision making and high performance.
Mining professionals who want to better understand strategy optimization and the key value drivers of mining projects
Enrolments now open
Course commences 6 May 2024
Describe the steps required to undertake a robust business optimization process to identify the right strategy that delivers the business goals.
Identify the impacts of cut-off grade selection on business strategy, value and risk.
Explore the mining process and how monitoring the right key performance measures can balance the achievement of long-term strategic goals with short-term business targets.
Recognise the impact recent technological advancements and innovations have had on mine performance and their future potential.
Develop an effective benchmarking programme to identify improvement opportunities.
Discuss how to undertake improvement initiatives planning to realize the impacts of continuous improvement.
The five-week course is a collaborative, hands-on online learning experience, taking learners approximately 20 hours to complete. Please note the live sessions are not mandatory, the virtual classroom will be recorded and available on the same day for participants who are unable to attend the live event.
Course content includes:
- Live virtual classroom (with replay available)
- Additional resources and readings (case studies, videos, articles)
- Workplace activities and peer discussions
- Group discussion forums
- Learning activities in the form of short test questions
- Describe an overview of project evaluation, the feasibility study process and key project measures
- Recognise that a comprehensive feasibility study is essential for developing a robust business strategy
- Estimate cut-off grades and their impact on other strategic parameters
- Recognise that a comprehensive strategy optimisation process delivers better project outcomes
- Identify the impact of risk appetite on strategic decision making
Performance Measurement, Monitoring and Reporting
- Describe how good mine planning practices are essential to achieving business goals
- Apply lagging and leading key performance indicators
- Map mining processes
- Recognise how data science can be used to measure performance
Technology and Innovation
- Describe the role technology and innovation has played in the mining industry
- Discuss significant new and emerging technologies and innovations, and their likely impact on mine performance
- Describe some failed interventions, and practical measures that could have avoided them
Benchmarking and Continuous Improvement
- Plan and execute an effective benchmarking program
- Recognise the differences between the various business improvement methods and their strengths and limitations
- Prepare an implementation plan to achieve the desired continuous improvement outcomes
- Describe the major components of establishing a continuous improvement program
All programs have been developed in consultation with leading organisations in the mining industry, subject matter experts and community leaders to ensure you gain the latest knowledge and develop relevant skills to accelerate your career.
His specialities include: open pit mine planning, underground mine planning, feasibility studies, due diligence, project management, cost estimation, benchmarking, business improvement and transformation, project evaluation, and public reporting.
Andrew holds a Masters in Mineral Economics and a Diploma in Project Management. He is a Fellow and Chartered Professional (Mining) of the AusIMM, and a Graduate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. Andrew is also a current member of the JORC Committee.
Derek du Preez
Prior to rejoining AMC in April 2023, Derek was a Senior Associate Director with Deloitte Consulting (Pty) Ltd in the Operations Transformations service area and recognised as a subject matter expert and thought leader in digital transformation in the mining and metals sector.
Derek was a member of Trevali Mining Corporation’s Group Leadership Team and acted as key technical resource to the Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officer, and Executive Management team. He was accountable for the safe and profitable operation of all mining, processing, port, haulage, and other general services activities. He was also responsible for leading and managing the technical portfolio in Trevali.
Before joining Trevali in July 2019, Derek was the Director, Digital Transformation with Vale Canada where he defined the future vision for digital transformation, developed a roadmap to maximize business value, and coordinated and delivered the digital transformation program across the base metals business.