Become an effective mine manager with field-proven insights
|Duration||Delivery||Course Type||2024 IntakeS||PD Hours||Language|
Up to 20
From leading teams across remote sites to 24 hour operations, the resources sector offers unique challenges for leaders, underpinned by continuous change, pressure to perform and complex corporate expectations. Reduce the stress of people management while you gain the the skills and frameworks to be an exceptional team leader with the Manager as Leader and Influencer short course. This course has been developed by leaders with field-proven experience building and leading teams successfully in the resources sector.
Gain the essential knowledge you need to successfully lead a team in mining:
Critical skills and obligations as a manager
- Your ethical obligations as a manager, and the risks of unethical behaviour
- Translating corporate expectations and communicating them to your team
People management tools to unlock high performance
- Performance coaching to enable success
- Influence at all levels of the business to create positive change
- Skills for team morale and engagement, including the right leadership behaviours to use in different contexts and cultures
- Lead performance feedback discussions effectively
Tools and frameworks to support your path to success
- Frameworks for continuous improvement as a leader, including reflecting on your performance and asking for feedback from others
- Manager’s toolbox of productivity techniques and tools, including delegating, managing your energy and time
This course is part of the Mine Operations Manager Core Skills series, designed to support new, aspiring and established leaders develop the skills to lead successful teams and operations in the mining industry.
I GOT THE JOB!! They decided no second interview necessary. I was a clear standout in the first interview and had a clear vision for the team and where we should be heading. Package is $178k plus a bonus based on company performance and I can do flexible/agile work and will be paid full time! Thank you!
Previous participant of a masterclass with Melanie McCarthy
Mel has a vast amount of personal leadership knowledge that stems from her years of hard work and dedication to her career. Her leadership development advice is based upon awareness gained through real-world experience and in-depth reflection. Thanks Mel!
When I was facing a staff resourcing shortage & was at a standstill with my ability to progress my projects, Mel was able to teach me how to think outside the box by offering to manage other peoples work loads to get access to the resources I needed. It resulted in me getting access to 2 additional staff members, and making major improvements in to how they could manage their work loads.
Mel's generous, thoughtful, and compassionate approach to mentoring provides a practical and constructive framework to challenge your approach, assumptions and an opportunity to learn.
Before the program I was afraid that I didn’t know how to handle certain confrontational situations at work. I wanted a strategy that would allow me to participate in conversations and the personal dynamics of my work environment and to a large extent I have achieved that. My vision before the program was of me working in the back room of my work but now I see myself as someone who is up the front! Thanks Mel, I have enjoyed this and think it has been really valuable for me, when I was probably sceptical about that at the start.
I'm walking away from this program feeling motivated and determined to work on the things I learned and improve my skills. I'm also thankful to Melanie for her huge effort and the wealth of experience she shared with us. If you're looking to improve your leadership skills and take steps towards advancing your career, this is the program for you ... I highly recommend it. Melanie, thank you.
Enrolments now open
Save 10% until 15 December 2023. Use early bird code EB10.
Gain PD hours, globally-recognised digital credentials and a huge number of downloadable resources
- Examine and design a personal leadership identity based on values and understand how that impacts your language and behaviour
- Explain the ethical obligations of managers and the risks associated with unethical behaviour
- Identify how you communicate key messages that cascade down from chain of command and how that affects people’s morale, engagement levels and business performance
- Discuss tools available and implement techniques to be a more productive manager who can delegate, coach for performance and have difficult performance conversations
- Compare differences and practice flexible communication styles in various contexts, considering different cultures and over distance, e.g., site and head office.
- Recognise how to enhance the quality of your relationships and your ability to influence others to create business results and create cohesive supportive cultures where people feel appreciated
- Explain what culture is, and the link between strategy and structure
- Outline the requirements for superior team performance, to ensure that everyone has a personal sense of purpose, and value.
The five-week course is a collaborative, hands-on online learning experience, taking learners approximately 20 hours to complete. Please note the live sessions are not mandatory, the virtual classroom will be recorded and available on the same day for participants who are unable to attend the live events.
Course content includes:
- Live virtual classroom (with replay available)
- Additional resources and readings (case studies, videos, articles)
- Workplace activities and peer discussions
- Group discussion forums
- Learning activities in the form of short test questions
Who should attend?
• Established leaders looking for a refresher for getting the most from their teams
• Senior specialists preparing to step into future leadership opportunities
Earn digital credentials
Showcase your studies, validate your knowledge
Verify your new skills and knowledge with a digital badge that you can add to your LinkedIn profile, email signature, intranet, or any other online account.
Your badge links to a detailed outline of the course, showcasing and validating your new skills in a format that employers and colleagues can easily access and trust. You can also choose to download a personalised certificate.
Enrolments now open
Save 10% until 15 December 2023. Use early bird code EB10.
All programs have been developed in consultation with leading organisations in the mining industry, subject matter experts and community leaders to ensure you gain the latest knowledge and develop relevant skills to accelerate your career.
Principal - Melanie McCarthy Mentor
Throughout her career, Mel has worked in over ten different mine sites, both site and FIFO, producing six different commodities. Her expertise is primarily focused on underground mining and includes negotiating offtake contracts internationally. Mel has also served as a non-executive director for more than ten years.
Mel cares deeply about supporting individuals to become exceptional leaders and is a certified executive coach.
Empowering Values-Based Leadership
- Identify the different leadership behaviours required as you move from technical to leadership roles and progress in your career
- Discover and articulate your own personal leadership values and what’s important to you as a leader
- Explain the impact a leader has on business performance by the behaviour and language they use
- Recognise examples of the different leadership styles required for different contexts
- Analyse a case study on the ethical obligations of managers, and explain the risks associated with unethical behaviour
- Assess your current leadership behaviours against your personal leadership values and goals
- Commence building an action plan to enhance your personal growth as a leader
Demonstrating Effective Leadership Behaviours
- Explain key elements of effective leadership behaviour and how they affect team performance
- Consider your own practices and adjust habits to be personally productive
- Practice actively listening and demonstrate this skill in the workplace
- Assess your ability to effectively delegate, manage your energy and time
- Utilise tools to regulate yourself when stakes are high
- Introduce additional ways of making decisions in addition to logical analysis
- Adapt your communication styles to strengthen and improve communication effectiveness
- Explain the impact a leader who is visible in the workplace has on team culture, morale and engagement
Influencing and Relationship Building
- Implement tools to build trust and rapport by being curious about other people
- Identify techniques to strengthen and maintain relationships across distance
- Recognise situations and contexts to adapt influencing styles
- Apply appropriate behaviour adjustments for different audiences and cultures
- Assess your sphere of influence and identify desired changes
- Explain what culture is, and how to change or improve the culture of an organisation through leadership
- Recognise ways to communicate key messages from senior leaders effectively to your team
Coaching for Engagement of High Performing Teams
- Recognise how positive emotion can motivate change
- Deduce levels of learning/comfort zones of your team members and identify how this affects engagement and safety outcomes
- Identify elements on how to set clear agreements with people
- Provide meaningful, positive, and corrective feedback using a structured framework
- Guide effective coaching conversations to build the confidence and capability of your team members using the GROW model
- Apply the ASBIA framework in conversations to hold people accountable for performance
- Explain the importance of seeking feedback and identify ways of asking for feedback from your team to improve your own leadership ability